Monday, August 14, 2006

So much has happened since I last wrote that it makes writing anything feel futile, but if not now when? As the Jews says...

I'll just hit the more intense events:

There has been a war in Israel and Lebanon. Since everyone already knows this, and I have no especially deep insights, I won't go into it too much. I will say that as of 8 am this morning there is a ceasefire, and it doesn't feel so different than yesterday. As with all things involving Israel, especially Israeli-Arab conflicts, there was a ton of propaganda going around from every side and I found it all disgusting. I am lucky that I have been very safe in Jerusalem, and the war has only really affected me in that my plan for traveling in the North my last month in Israel was canceled.

About a month ago I went with a group of friends, under the guidance of Kareem, to Bethlehem. This marks the second Palestinian city I've visited (the other was Ramallah with SOP boss Reem). Kareem is a wonderful guide (and person) and I think with his help I was really able to understand the complex life of refugee status.

I have been able to see many, many friends. This includes Kareem, and Egyptian-American friend I met two years ago who spends a great deal of time volunteering with Palestinian youth and studies at the University of Cincinnati med school to become a gynecologist. Aaron Miller, an old friend from OSRUI who I haven't seen in about 7 years and who is now studying at HUC to be a rabbi and is married (though I've never seen the wife and semi-doubt her existence). Aaron Feinstein my kindergarten boyfriend, just finished leading a birthright trip and has plans to go to Yale med school (South Benders are so impressive). Alex Seymer, a good friend from Ben Gurion University Ulpan 2 or 3 years ago, who traveled from Belgium via Germany to come visit for a week of Jerusalem sightseeing (especially Yad V'shem).

I am currently single and give praise unto the Lord.

I was robbed of my wallet while standing in line at Marzipan, one of my local bakeries, buying challah for a shabbat/goodbye dinner. I ask the Lord, to who I have recently given much praise, to smite the evil doer.

I think that about sums up my last few months. I am leaving tomorrow to go back to America. It is surreal to say the least. I'll have 12 days to unpack, do laundry, repack, and move to New York. At this moment I am not positive I'll make it. I am looking forward to making friends with some of the very nice people I met at the welcome weekend, as well as reconnect with a few old friends who are either in the New York area or on the east coast (DC and Philly). I'm thinking of keeping the blog and renaming it "From the mid-west to the mid-east to mid-town" but I'm not sure that's kosher since I'll be far from midtown, rather just below Harlem. Perhaps "mid-law and justice episode"?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home