Tuesday, March 21, 2006

After the last post, it may seem a bit crass, but things are going really well in my life. I think because we're in Jerusalem, and not Arad, the distance between us girls and the rest of WUJS and the trauma there has really made a difference. Emily and I discussed it a bit and we had really similar feelings about being uncomfortable in our room. Being in Jerusalem perhaps we've sidestepped some of the issues we'd otherwise have to deal with. I think other WUJS people still in Arad are feeling that way too, and many are searching for escapes. Right now everyone is on the 4 day tiyul (trip) a hike in the North. Weakling that I am, I've skipped it in favor of typing up office papers, but I'm there in spirit (everyone's going swimming in the Kinneret, I dare them not to think of me).

Office stuff is getting a bit better. If the actual work isn't all that interesting, at least the perks are great. Last week they had a screening of Paradise Now and the Israeli producer answered (long-windedly) questions about the aims of the film. I really recommend the film. I think it doesn't play to stereotypes, has an overall positive, peaceful message, and really challenges every viewer, no matter their political or religious identity. The first time I saw it was with Hanna and a few friends at the Jerusalem Cinemateque with an audience of half Arabs and half Jews. The emotional moments were almost too much and I left with so many questions and ideas. Watching it with Seeds of Peace, with young Arab and Jewish leaders who've dedicated themselves towards peace, was so much more reassuring. GO SEE IT, especially if it's "not your kind of movie" or you think it's anti-Israeli.

This past weekend I had most of my good friends over to celebrate my birthday, but really just to spend time together. Brian, Petr, Evan, Tal, Anna, and Naomi joined Emily, Daniela, Erin, and I for a really great time. While waiting for them to get to our apartment, I got a call from Liat and went to meet her in the City Center. Liat was a good friend on EIE and we hadn't seen each other in 5 years, though we'd been on-and-off in contact. She's the kind of free-spirit that isn't at all flaky, a girl who's dreadlocked but not dirty. I like her lots. After I dropped her off to meet up with her group, I ran over to the new Arad arrivals. We all went to one street bar with hooka (nargila) and then the boys and Emily, Daniela, and I went to a much nicer place called Prague, were I got positively tipsy (as if being with Brian didn't already have me over the edge).

The rest of the weekend was very fun and relaxed; went to Mahene Yehuda as a large group for Shabbat shopping (I ran into Gabi, a girl I volunteered with 3 summers ago in Sfat, she's married now!), then the boys and I got some Sahleb (creamy Turkish drink, their first time), went to a playground (I think I was there 5 years ago), and got a drink. On Saturday we slept in and went to the Ambassador Hotel (Palestinian, just down the street), and got 7 Arabic salads for 10 dollars and each got a Taybe (Palestinian beer). Extremely good times. Of course it was good to be with everyone, but especially Brian. After our time together in Arad for Alex, I feel like what was a fun relationship has a much more emotional connection now. I feel so completely comfortable and happy with him. He even likes it when I criticize his smoking (he only does it occasionally, but that's still too often) and I don't mind too much when he makes me blush.

The other thing on my mind: The Future. Grad school or Israel? With Israel, I need to look for a job, an apartment, and do I even want to be here? Grad school is slightly more frightening. So far I've gotten into 4 programs (Columbia's Teachers College, American's Education, GW's Education, and School of International Training), waitlisted at 1 (GW's Elliot School, which is good because I don't think it would be a good fit for me), and am waiting to hear back from 3 more (American's dual degree, Notre Dame, Brandeis). If I get into the last 3 it's going to be a really hard decision. There's still the basic question, besides the dual degree option, of whether I'm going to approach this from an MA in education, with a focus on peace education, or if I'll get an MA in conflict resolution and not focus on teaching at all but perhaps become a facilitator or something else. I'm trying to enjoy the fact that I have options, but I've always been such a terrible decision maker. Especially after OSU, I want to do this for myself and for the right reasons.

Advice welcome, though I don't promise to follow it

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home