Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Alex

Alexander deBeer died the evening of March 6. I'm not going to write very much about Alex. Everytime I try to it comes out badly. Having talked to a lot of people afterwards I feel very lucky to have been his neighbor, to have gotten the chance to have seen him almost everyday, and at his best. I feel especially conflicted about not having seen him the last three weeks, wishing that if I'd been there I could have done something, thankful that I wasn't so that I remember him as the sweet, gentle, optimistic man he was. The days I spent back in Arad were a rollercoaster; the loss of Alex came in waves and the sense of community and love between all of us was sometimes enough to cope. All of us had little pieces, our experiences with Alex, that we used to try to understand what happened, to create a complete puzzle. I'm content now to have my own memories, to not wonder. You can visit a site his family created for him at AlexanderdeBeer.com. Though you won't hear his funny slow-paced voice or eat his delicious pasta or disgusting liqurice powder, smell him after his workouts, or touch his baby-soft hair, you will get a sense of his sweetness and beauty, I hope.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home